|Chuck Versus the Baby|
|Season 05, Episode 08|
|Air Date||December 30, 2011|
|Writer||Rafe Judkins, Lauren LeFranc|
|Previous||Chuck Versus the Santa Suit|
|Next||Chuck Versus the Kept Man|
Full plot Edit
Five years agoEdit
On a mission in Budapest, Sarah is given a mission by her CIA handler, Kieran Ryker, to storm a mob-owned building and retrieve a package. But she soon discovers that the "package" was in fact a baby girl. Later rendezvousing with Ryker, he tells her that she did a good thing rescuing the baby, the heir to an enormous fortune whom the gangsters killed her parents for. But Sarah can guess that Ryker is after the fortune too, dissatisfied with his work. She reveals that she didn't bring the baby to him and escapes.
Returning to hotel room, Sarah is at a loss as to how to care for the baby, so she calls her mother Emma for motherly advice. Once the baby is asleep, Sarah calls CIA director Langston Graham, who states that the baby must be put into protective custody to protect her fortune. Realizing that this would ruin the baby's chance of a normal life, Sarah lies to Graham, claiming she doesn't have the baby. She then gives the child to her mother, knowing that the CIA doesn't know her identity as Sarah and her father have gone through many aliases.
Having heard the revelation from Shaw that he knows about the baby, Sarah is determined to beat Ryker to her. Chuck can tell something is up but Sarah can't afford to tell him. Knowing her teammates would push her, Sarah gives them need-to-know information.
Sarah arrives at the same rendezvous Ryker previously used. A passing waiter gives her a message to hop on the next bus. Chuck and Casey, watching this from a sniper perch, pursue the waiter. When they corner him, he starts speaking Hungarian. Without an Intersect or comprehensive knowledge from a pocket dictionary, Chuck brings a cook to translate. The waiter claims ignorance but Casey suspects that he's lying and can understand what they are saying. He walks up to their captive, threatening to put a hole in his lung if he doesn't talk.
Sarah finds and infiltrates Ryker's safehouse but is captured. Ryker then interrogates her as to the baby's (now a young girl) location, revealing that Shaw set her up, knowing that she wouldn't trust anyone with this. Ryker is called away, as his lackey turns up, gagged. The lackey admits that he cracked, just as Chuck and Casey rescue Sarah.
Returning to Burbank, Sarah apologizes to Chuck for not telling him about Budapest and the girl. When she tells Chuck the girl's location and they hug, Chuck hears feedback. He finds a listening bug in Sarah's hair, indicating that Ryker must have put it there to learn the girl's location.
With a race against time, Sarah activates the homing beacon at her mother's house. Her adoptive sister, Molly, notices a bracelet acting funny, and goes to tell mother.
Ryker and his men arrive at Emma's house. Ryker walks inside, expecting to simply grab Molly, only to find that Sarah has beaten him there. Molly and her mother are safe in Echo Park, as Morgan plays video games with the young girl. Ryker and Sarah fight and he nearly gets the upper hand, until he hears Chuck and Casey attacking his men. As he stands shocked that he was wrong about Sarah, she manages to stab him in the back, killing him.
Returning to Echo Park, Sarah introduces herself to her adoptive sister. As well as Sarah reconnecting with her family, Chuck gets to know Emma a little, with the implication that this will continue.
While the team is out, the Woodcombs, Morgan and Alex decide to spend their free time playing board games (including 'Game of Life') in Castle. The Woodcombs decide to excuse themselves to do role-play in the interrogation rooms, where they overhear Morgan's unsubtle attempts to get back with Alex. The Woodcombs decide to intervene, separately telling the other couple about their first break before getting back together. Alex then takes Morgan back.
- The Wilhelm Scream can be heard as Ryker pushes the waiter over the ledge.
- In the flashback scene with Sarah and Ryker in Budapest, a bus pass with the number 2525. It's a possible reference to the movie Speed, which starred Keanu Reeves and Denis Hopper.
- Sarah claims the CIA had no knowledge of her mother because of her numerous aliases growing up. This indicates that the birth certificate Director Graham mentions in a flashback in "Chuck Versus the Cougars" was a fake, since it would contain Emma's name if it were real.
Continuity errors Edit
- The final flashback in this episode contradicts what was previously stated in "Chuck Versus the Intersect" and "Chuck Versus the Nacho Sampler":
- Graham is shown assigning Sarah to be Chuck's handler while still in Langley. In the pilot, her original orders were to assertain the location of the Intersect files. She didn't become Chuck's handler until after they found out he had downloaded the Intersect.
- While in his office, Graham shows Sarah a file on Chuck. During a flashback in season 3 Sarah is shown receiving Chuck's full info through her phone while already inside the Buy More.
Guest stars Edit
- The Black Block - Modeselektor
- Clownin Around - Deer Tick
- Life, Oh Life - Dads
- We Are Young - Fun feat. Janelle Monae